Principal areas of practice
Sunny has more than 25 years’ experience in assisting corporate clients in Greater China and the Asia Pacific region in a wide range of corporate law, M&A transactions and legal compliance. His practice includes data privacy, employee benefit trusts, commercial and foreign direct investment laws. In addition, Sunny advises high net worth clients on their personal and business succession needs often advising on complex cross border planning using trusts. He was recommended by Legal 500 for his trust work and currently serves as the Co-chair in mainland China of The Society of Trust & Estate Practitioner (STEP).
Sunny is fluent in English, Bahasa Malaysia, Putonghua and Cantonese.
- Barrister, England and Wales
- Hong Kong
- Recommended Lawyer in Tax and Trusts (Hong Kong) by Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2016
Experience and Representative Matters
- Advising several high net worth families on the drafting and implementation of their family constitution
- Advising various families with succession planning, providing advice on complex cross border structures, drafting the relevant documents and assisting with its implementation
- Advising various clients on setting up trusts and foundations
- Advising families on setting up family offices and funds
- Advising families on the negotiation and documentation of their investments and legal compliance
- Advising a US based pharmaceutical company with acquisition of a key R&D target in mainland China
- Advising a leading European fashion brand with its distribution and retail agreements
- Advising a leading British food & beverage company with its franchise registration, operation and compliance in mainland China
- Advising a European listed company with its commercial contracts, potential risk exposure of their supply chain under human rights legislations and other legal requirements in Greater China and ASEAN region
- Advising a European headquartered hotel chain with its commercial contacts and labor law requirements
- Advising various companies on data privacy compliance and documentation in mainland China and Hong Kong
- Advising a PE-owned global corporate services company on various merger & acquisition transactions in Greater China and Europe
- Advising a global services firm to prepare and negotiate their commercial contracts in mainland China and Hong Kong, standardizing their contracts and contract management, advising on the reporting requirement under anti-money laundering legislation and other regulated activities where licenses are required
- Advising on the setting up and documentation of employee benefit trusts
- Advising a Hong Kong listed company on the registration of a trust and company service provider license in Hong Kong
Includes all representative matters prior to joining LC Lawyers LLP
- Brunel University, London, LL.B.